Car and home
- If you own a car, leave it in the garage and make sure it is locked
- The keys to the cars should be hidden somewhere in your house
- You can unplug the garage door opener to prevent anyone from opening it
- Tell people you trust that you will be away and invite them to park in your driveway.
- Close all blinds and drapes to prevent people from looking inside
- Suspend newspaper and package deliveries
- Keep a light on in your house and use a timer to turn it on an off
- If it is the winter time, arrange for someone to clear your driveway of snow or ask someone to make car tracks in your driveway. You want your home to look lived in.
- Leave your house as clean as possible and consider hiding valuables
- Keeping your house clean helps us to solve the crime if your home is broken into.
- If you have left someone responsible for your home make sure you tell them to report any crimes to the police
- If you are away for an extended period of time, contact your insurance broker to ensure your policy will continue to cover your home and car.