Tips to deter graffiti
As a property owner, there are measures you can take to deter graffiti. They include:
- Plant vines, shrubs or thorny plants to limit access to walls.
- Increase lighting and visibility. Consider motion or sensor lights to draw attention to any movement on your property.
- Move vehicles, dumpsters or other items away from walls and cover pipes to prevent access to the roof or upper levels of a building.
- Consider a graffiti repellent to protect surfaces against graffiti.
- Use fences and other barriers to discourage through traffic.
- Encourage community pride and respect in your neighbourhood and involve youth in community graffiti removal project.
- Consider adding a mural to your property.
- Encourage neighbours to look out for each other. Start up a Neighbourhood Watch program in your neighbourhood.